MaconCatalog : Academic Information : Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Undergraduate students must complete at least 32 credit hours and not less than one fourth of their minimum degree requirements at Mercer to be awarded a Mercer degree. Ordinarily, the last year of academic work (32 semester hours) must be done in residence. At least 12 hours of upper division work in a major, concentration, or specialization and 6 hours of upper division work in a minor, if elected, must be done in residence.
A bachelor’s degree requires a minimum of 120 semester hours of academic courses numbered 100 and above. Many programs of study will require more. Refer to the specific major requirements for the credit hours needed to complete a particular program. Courses numbered below 100 do not count toward the fulfillment of the hours required for graduation. Hours earned in any school or college of the University may be used to satisfy the requirements of any undergraduate degree. Students must, however, fulfill all degree requirements of their particular degrees of choice. Using one course to satisfy two different requirements (general education, major, minor, second major) is often referred to as "double dipping." For Mercer's undergraduate programs, students are allowed to double dip courses at the 100- and 200-level. However, a student may not use any combination of more than two 300- or 400-level courses to satisfy the requirements in different majors and/or minor programs.
A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher is required for graduation. Students must also have at least a 2.0 average in the minimum requirements for a major, concentration, specialization, or minor. Individual schools require higher than 2.0 averages for admission to some programs and to meet graduation requirements in certain programs. Students should see the specific requirements of their program of study in this catalog.
A student who wishes to complete a second major in a different school/college from that of his/her first major must fulfill the specific course requirements for the second major plus additional requirements that may be arranged on an individual basis. The student should consult an academic advisor in the second major. The advisor and/or the department chair will determine what course work other than that usually prescribed for the major, if any, will be required. For example, a student seeking a degree in engineering or business may earn a second major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences by completing the specific courses listed for the second major and other work that may be deemed appropriate by the advisor and department chair for the second major.
Minors may also be earned across school or college lines under the same provisions as those stated above for majors. The School of Business offer minors for non-business students in Business Administration or Marketing. Majors and/or minors that are earned across school or college lines will be noted on permanent records but not on diplomas.
Students cross-registering for courses outside their college/school of enrollment will continue to pay the tuition rate of their home college/school for those courses.