MaconCatalog : Financial Information : V A Benefits
V A Benefits
Individuals who are eligible to receive financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs should contact the University’s Office of the Registrar on the Macon Campus regarding VA certification. Students MUST notify the certifying official in the Registrar’s office if they:
Used all of their Veteran Educational Benefits
Changed course load or Program of Study
Withdraw from classes (after start of term)
Terminate Enrollment (before start of term)
Students who receive VA benefits must make appropriate payment arrangements with the Office of the Bursar no later than the first day of each semester to ensure that their tuition and fees will be paid in full.
Students receiving tuition assistance paid directly to the University will have their total tuition and fees submitted to VA for payment based on their eligibility percentage, minus any tuition-based scholarships awarded for the term. Housing fees, meal plan fees, and miscellaneous fees (parking tickets, housing fines, etc.) are not eligible to be paid by VA and are the responsibility of the student.
Students who have less than 100% eligibility entitlement or receive VA tuition assistance paid directly to the student are responsible for paying any outstanding balance no later than the first day of the semester. If students are unable to pay the balance in full they are encouraged to enroll in the Monthly Payment Plan to avoid holds and late fees on their tuition account.
Post-9/11 GI-Bill: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides a maximum amount of benefit per academic year (August 1st – July 31st), based on the entitlement percentage of the student. Students are responsible for paying any remaining balance on their tuition account if:
1. The maximum has been paid by VA for the academic year,
2. The student has exhausted lifetime benefits, or
3. The end of the entitlement period is reached.
Yellow Ribbon: Students with 100% entitlement may be eligible to receive Yellow Ribbon to help cover their balance. Once a student is out of entitlement, or has reached his/her delimiting date, VA will not pay the Yellow Ribbon. Active duty personnel and their spouses utilizing transferred entitlement are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon. For more information on this program, please contact the Office of the Registrar 478) 301-2494.
VA benefits will be reduced if a student withdraws from a class or changes his/her enrollment status. In the event of an overpayment, the student will be immediately responsible for repayment to the Veteran’s Administration. The Mercer VA Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar must be immediately informed by the student regarding schedule changes.
Veterans Services at Mercer University is not a division of or directly affiliated with the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
Students with questions about their eligibility for benefits and payments, should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or visit